Friendship as an adult is difficult to find but incredibly important. When your life is all paying bills and keeping up with smaller versions of yourself, it’s nice to have someone who can relate. Sure, we have husbands but they can’t always be there and sometimes you just want to chat with another lady!
Just like we celebrate our love for our significant others with Valentine’s Day, we should celebrate these gal pals who will text us back when we’re up nursing the baby at midnight and who don’t judge our lifelong chaos. Leslie Knope of Parks and Recreation started this fabulous day for February 13th called Galentine’s Day, where we honor our friends with brunches and treats.
Our MOPS group held a Galentine’s themed meeting last week and we enjoyed a lot of treats and games. It was a really nostalgic meeting that brought back the old M.A.S.H. and Truth or Dare games we knew as kids! We had a blast calling McDonald’s to ask if they had Whoppers and finding out that the M is MASH is for our minivan, not that Hybrid or Audi we hoped for.
The treats were delicious, lots of fruit and chocolate snacks! Since MOPS is early in the morning, I wanted to make a treat that would be yummy but also simple to put together. I decided on some adorable chocolate pretzel bites! They’re tasty and so easy that your kids could help you make them!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Valentine’s M&Ms (white and various shades of red)
Hershey’s Hugs (or Kisses but the Hugs are so cute!)
1. Preheat your oven to 200°F.
2. Line a sheet of foil or parchment paper with waffle pretzels.
3. Place one of the Hugs (or Kisses) on each pretzel.
4. Put the sheet of chocolate pretzel love in the oven until shiny and just beginning to lose shape, about 5 minutes. (I’ve heard some say to make sure that they aren’t melting yet but I found that if they weren’t, the thicker part of the chocolate was not soft enough yet!)
5. Remove the pretzels from the oven and immediately push one M&M down into the center of the chocolate.
6. Allow to cool or place in the refrigerator.
Fill a bowl for parties.
Put in a bag with other chocolate goodies as a valentine trail mix.
Make valentines that say “Sealed with a kiss” or “hug”.
Use Sweethearts or chocolate hearts instead of M&Ms!